Share/Bookmark

Gallery Visit - Natural History Museum

No comment yet
Collection of fossilised dinosaur bones and animatronic recreations

To get another alternative look-in of exploring the interiors of certain objects, I ventured to the Natural History Museum in Kensington, London to get a proper insight of animistic skeletons - specifically skeletons - and seeing how they influenced their former flesh exteriors.
'Dippy' - the famous skeleton of a Diplodocus dinosaur

From what was on display there was a great in-depth look into the history of the animals, and how their remains have been discovered by archaeologists. The first dinosaurs appeared about 230 million years ago and for the following 160 million years they scoured the Earth. What I found the most interesting was how the museum recreated some of the breeds are animatronic displays, as they do not have skeletons within them as their original counterparts.
The "outside" and "Inside" of a Tyrannosaurus, as well as the skeletons of a Stegosaurus and two Dromaeosaurus

As my project revolves around exploring the insides and outsides of subjects and how they influence one another, the museum as inspired me to think what could influence a dinosaur internally rather than bones and organs; what makes them carnivorous killers or peaceful herbivore plant eaters. However, I believe I should develop this out using human subjects and visualise their personality via internally (e.g. their likes and dislikes). Also, I documented my visit to the museum in my sketchbook below:
Documentation of gallery visit, featuring annotations and two sketches

Overall, I believe I didn't gain anything new or inspiring from the Natural History Museum, neither do I believe my final outcome will be based around dinosaurs, however it has inspired me with a new development idea that I hope to carry out soon.

Post a Comment

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 JAMES ARMSTRONG Final Major Project | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER